25 Jul 2011

A mellow encounter...

The PH household bumped into an old mate today while walking back to our car. My other half did not remember instantly despite him wearing his trademark white shirt until I pointed out to her vital signs that it was really him. My elder son could only recall vaguely but admitted that the shirt was familiar. I don't blame my son for that because at the time we were close acquaintances he was only about three or four. He should be surprised if I told him that he was very close to this friend of ours, always playing piggyback, hunching on his shoulders, even throwing up all over him every now and then. When that happened, I would just offer to clean his clothes and nothing else. But he would not protest as he's not one to let innocent incidents affect our relationship.

At times, he would drive us to and fro Johor Bahru but never complained about the long haul trip and heavy load. Once in a while, our relatives moved stuff and I volunteered him without even checking if he minded. Come to think of it, it was very unprofessional of me but I could not help it as I knew he could do the job without much hassle. The bulky items at Ikea, especially from As Is were no problem to him. I always wonder if he ever thought us taking advantage of his kindness and reliability.

He has not changed one bit. Still wearing white, in good shape as always and sporting the same haircut—close crop, flat top. My sister-in-law now remembered and so did her nephew. I snapped a photo before we bade goodbye.

Oh, he's a true mate and such a gentleman. In many ways, he's family. This encounter makes our hearts grow fonder of him.

PH household trusted ex-companion, Volvo V70 plate no. WGL3818 (Apple iPhone 3GS)

No comments:

Post a Comment