23 Jun 2011

Feeling very nerfous about keeping guns at home

I didn't expect this but we spent a long time at Guns "R" Us deciding on a model. I began to take into account bullet velocity, muzzle energy, clip capacity, coolness and streetwise factors. I'm envious that my son got the Stampede first because it is powered by six AA batteries which makes it a very powerful blaster. I like the sound that it emits and the subtle but unmistakable vibration it gives every time I pull the trigger. I admire the simple on/off switch which is akin to an automatic gun's safety lever. I am thrilled by the rapid discharge of the bullets ala a GPMG. To be more accurate, I'm just worried that I will not be able to defend my fort for long, should my enemy (the son) decide to launch a blitzkrieg.

But for the record, he was the one who helped me arrive at a decision, an honest help without the slightest design to sabotage. At the gun store, we discussed the merits of the models on display and the annihilation that they were capable of delivering. We studied the literature and diagram on the packagings like journalists from Guns & Ammo. We watched the promo video although the picture and sound quality was utterly terrible. We blasted question after question to a staff but we did not get anywhere as the poor guy only started working that day. I really hope he did not quit his job.

A little over an hour after, we had our eyes trained on the Recon CS-6 and Longstrike CS-6. The former reminded me of Heckler & Koch's MP7 while the latter a garden variety sniper rifle but it screamed menace all the same. These two guns were decked with the right parts and certainly looked the, emmm, part. My only beef with these two was that they were not motorised which means I will surely lose out to my son and his Stampede any time we go to battle. There were long pauses and longer whispered monologues but with my son's constant encouragement (actually more of pestering), I finally settled on the Longstrike with its striking blue paint job. Blue also happens to be my son's favourite colour.

Half way to the till I suddenly u-turned and headed back to the gun rack and retrieved the Recon CS-6, much to his chagrin. I convinced him that I much prefer the sportier and more robust design of the Recon. Besides, I can't picture myself doing a Vasily Zaytsev of the Enemy at the Gates fame... I have high astig.

The Recon CS-6 looks at home with the Marine, pictured here wearing a standard sea blue combat fatigue
(Apple iPhone 3GS)

But deep down, I feel good that my other half did not have to fork out RM179 for a plastic toy gun. I wrote earlier that I won't pay a lot of money for it so I shouldn't turn greedy just because someone I love dearly offered to pay for it. The Recon was only RM99.

With an investment of under RM100, I now feel so much safer for the protection the NERF Recon affords but feeling quite nerfous about maintaining an illegal armoury at home. I hope the neighbours won't notice anything abnormal.

The gun is heavy and huge, even for a tough Marine (Apple iPhone 3GS)


No comments:

Post a Comment