19 Jun 2011

Do you have the nerfs?

My elder boy bought himself a NERF N-Strike Stampede ECS yesterday. Bought himself, get it? I would have not forked out RM249 for a plastic toy gun. Anyway, just to clarify that further, he plonked in only RM100, the balance was donated by my other half. Still, I would have not donated RM149 for a plastic toy gun. Check out the gun below...

There is a shorter clip (Apple iPhone 3GS)

Quite impressive right? Technically speaking, it is a fully-automatic assault rifle but the product is called a blaster, to sound less suggestive and politically-correct. Specced with 3 extended clips, the (toy) weapon packs a total of 60 foam darts. In NERFdom, it would be capable to mete out total carnage. NERF stands for non-expanding recreational foam, created by Parker Bros but now owned by Hasbro. It is absolute, unadulterated fun and pretty harmless. For that investment, he also gets a blast shield and a pop-out bipod. Check out the assault rifle, I mean blaster, with the complete getup below...

It's rather a heavy thing to lug around (Apple iPhone 3GS)

NERF is not just toy guns, there are NERF balls made from the same material but the former has been the market since the 70s and I think they are bigger. It's been the rage in the US for some years and now is catching on in Malaysia. If you have time, key in NERF on Youtube and entertain yourself with various choreographed NERF wars, model walk-through demonstrations and even top ten ranking of its top guns. Super Soakers and Lazer Tags are two more brands under the NERF umbrella. In my opinion, they should not be positioned under NERF because they are not using any foam-based bullets but never mind, this can be tackled in another post.

Unbeknownst to me until few days ago, my son has had a sidearm for some time already. He claimed it was his brother's but who is he kidding here. The picture below shows the NERF N-strike Nite Finder EX-3...

The design is not too hot (Apple iPhone 3GS)

It comes with an el cheapo laser guide and a pull-back cock but I must say it is not as interesting as the Stampede. If this was a real gun, it would be a Smith & Wesson. I prefer Glock. I'm sure both makes can shoot well but I just thought Glock is more macho-sounding.

I've had a few go with the Stampede and thought that investing in a NERF weapon is not an ill-conceived idea at all, you know, for self protection. My son welcomes very much my proposition. My other half overheard our conversation and offered to gift it as a Father's Day present. Better still.

So, we'll visit Guns "R" Us at IPC tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment