27 May 2011

The creamiest ice cream in KLCC, only

After a hearty dinner at Bumbu Desa, the PH troupe went two floors down to The Cream and Fudge Factory, which prides itself as having the creamiest ice cream on earth. Let's see...

Ice cream anyone?
(Apple iPhone 3GS)


My first visit to TCFF was a few weeks ago. Seeing the menu was enough to make me go gaga so I ordered a double scoop of green tea and vanilla ice cream in a chocolate peanut butter waffle bowl and toppings and mix-ins I have now forgotten what they were. The boys and my other half ordered something sinful as well. I did not recall anyone sharing but perfectly remember the labourious act of finishing the order. Yes, the scoop size was ultra generous, the creamiest claim did come through and my wallet did not get thinner because TCFF charged fair, unlike Baskin's or Haagen Dasz. I was curious to know who's behind the brand but disappointed that no one could give me a satisfactory answer. Can you imagine if I was an undercover exeutive? The answer I got was that the ice cream was Swiss, no the brand was, but the ice cream was locally made, actually, no, it came from Thailand, only the brand was Malaysian. Wait a minute, the concept was Swiss. Three waitstaff participated in this exchange, at different times. Needless to say, the answer was not as smooth and creamy as the product they were selling. I held my breath.

Bumbu Desa gave us a solid excuse not to get greedy with the order so this time everybody voluntarily offered to share. My other half fancied the chocolate mint flavour and brownie as the mix-in so she went ahead to get it without consulting me. I didn't think the combination was right but it was too late to suggest a change. After putting in a couple of spoonfuls into her mouth-watering mouth, I gave it a go. My initial feeling was verified, it sucked. But she wouldn't know that unless she reads this. The brownie was too soft it crumbled and the ice cream was not fit to be called that because it was just cream, not iced, if you get my drift. I don't know what was wrong but the last visit had seen real ice cream, the kind that required an effort to cut through and at least eight seconds to properly melt on the tongue. The only guess I could make was that the freezer temperature was not optimum. Maybe Mr Blumenthal can provide us with a feedback.

TCFF's trump card is that their ice cream, along with the customer's choice of toppings and mix-ins are blended atop a frozen marble stone. The staff achieve this by using two oversized spoons and when you look at how it's being done, it is really like frying _____ (fill in the blanks) in a pan. At the moment, I don't think there is a close competitor and frankly speaking, the novelty value of having your ice cream fried will slowly fade away because after few excited visits or even feedings, you'll see that they are no different than the two American ice cream brands mentioned, of course provided you have it all the way i.e. with toppings, sauce in order for an apple-to-apple comparison to take place. What's going to make TCFF stick is its very college student-friendly price strategy. It's insanely romantic to share a bowl after catching a movie with your squeeze at TGV just a floor above isn't it?


There is a movie version but the host wouldn't let me upload it :(
(Apple iPhone 3GS)

My boys ordered bubble gum flavoured ice cream with M&Ms and whipped cream. It was way too sweet. I thought Baskin Robbins' version was better. Like the choc mint, the ice cream was melting fast although the room was air-conditioned thoroughly. The colour was Pantone-esque pink, rather than purply pinky which if done this way would have been a fitting tribute to the Bubble Yum bubble gum which I'm certain was the inspiration behind the flavour.

I don't think I will make another visit soon to TCFF as I am put off by the lack of consistency in its core products, the ice creams. Besides, the mixer is not intent on spending a lot of time while frying resulting in uneven distribution of the crushed particles among the cold cream. Frying ice cream on the frozen marble stone is a novelty indeed but after a while you will reminisce that you mix your Cherry Garcia, pecan and chocolate syrup before shoving it down your fuel tunnel anyway. So, it doesn't make TCFF so special any more does it? The outlet is performing well with lines formed by all the early adopters but as soon as their interests wane, it's got only the economical pricing to hold the fort. And given the present state of economic affairs in the country, the creamiest joint on earth might just still go on and survive.


The menu reminded me of Swensen's...
(Apple iPhone 3GS)

No comments:

Post a Comment